Meet Susan O’Brien
After years in the tax world working at both the Canada Revenue Agency and in the private sector, Susan O’Brien took a leap and started her own tax-consulting firm. While her business was successful, she had a gnawing feeling that she wanted more. Finding her heart was in wealth management, she started her next venture, the Susan O’Brien Group, with a large global Canadian bank in 1998. It has grown to become a nationally recognized wealth advisory practice.
Now, having found her place, her focus is on an innovative and collaborative approach to wealth management. She is a sought-after speaker, facilitator, and planner working with C-suite executives and wealthy families who want more from their financial advisory relationships. Susan uses a net worth thinking lens to align all aspects of each client’s financial life. As an entrepreneur and mother of four children, she has a passion for helping her clients not only build their own net worth but also ensure that their wealth passes on to future generations.
Susan has been featured in the Globe and Mail, and on CTV News and Global News. She was a 2018 finalist in the Women in Wealth Management Awards in the categories of “Women-Led Advisory Team of the Year” and “Excellence in Philanthropy and CSR.” In 2019, she was a finalist in the Wealth Professional Awards for Excellence in Philanthropy and Community Service.
Always guided by helping others and giving back to her community, she sits on advisory boards for the Calgary Foundation and United Way. She is also a member of the Women Presidents’ Organization (WPO), a global organization of top women entrepreneurs, where she offers peer-to-peer mentoring. Susan lives with her family in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- 2006 President’s Council Member
- 2007 President’s Council Member
- 2008 President’s Council Member, Director Level
- 2008 Price Metrix Award Winner for Business Excellence
- 2009 President’s Council Member
- 2010 President’s Council Member, Director Level
- 2011 President’s Council Member, Director Level
- 2012 Chairman’s Council Member
- 2013 President’s Council Member, Director Level
- 2014 Chairman’s Council Member
- 2015 Chairman’s Council Member
- 2016 Chairman’s Council Member
- 2017 Chairman’s Council Member
- 2018 Women in Wealth Management Awards Finalist: Excellence in Philanthropy & CSR
- 2018 Women in Wealth Management Awards Finalist: Women-Led Advisory Team of the Year
- 2019 Women in Wealth Management Awards Finalist: Excellence in Philanthropy & CSR
- Chartered Investment Manager (CIM®)
- Fellow of the Canadian Securities Institute (FCSI®)
- Personal Financial Planner (PFP®)
- Canadian Securities Course (CSC)
- Life License Qualification Program (LLQP)
- Conduct and Practices Handbook (CPH)
- Portfolio Management Techniques (PMT)
- Investment Management Techniques (IMT)
- Wealth Management Essentials (WME)
- Partners, Directors and Senior Officers Course (PDO)
- Wealth Management Services Specialist for High Net Worth Clients
Purchase the book
It’s a fallacy that the affluent are well served.
They may have their choice of fabulous hotels, spas, coveted seats at sporting events, and tables at five-star restaurants, but when it comes to making long-term decisions about their money, they’re not getting the help they need. In Susan O’ Brien’s book she discusses what a real financial plan looks like using a net worth thinking lens and why it should start at the end, not at the beginning.